I get that we are all busy these days. But if you have time to make a cup of coffee. Who am I kidding? People don’t make coffee in the morning anymore; they swing by Starbucks for their $5 coffee. So, if you have time for this why not save yourself some money and start your day off right?
Why is breakfast, and not just any breakfast (i.e. a doughnut or a huge bagel), so important? Here are several good reasons:
- People with type 2 diabetes can reduce the chance of having unhealthy blood sugar spikes later in the day by starting their day with a protein-rich breakfast.
- People with diabetes who ate big breakfasts and small dinners have fewer episodes of high blood sugar than those who do the reverse – eat small breakfasts and large dinners.
- A high protein breakfast helps women feel full longer. Translation? Say goodbye to hangry!
- In one study, people who ate a big breakfast and a modest dinner lost 2 ½ times more weight than people who had a big dinner and a modest breakfast. And, women who eat their largest daily meal at breakfast are far more likely to lose weight and have a smaller waistline than those whose largest meal is dinner.
- Women who skip breakfast have a 20% higher risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
- People who routinely eat breakfast have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with people who routinely skip breakfast.
Have I convinced you to stop literally for 1 minute to make yourself breakfast? I hope so because I strongly believe taking this one minute now prevents many lost minutes later spent waiting in doctors’ offices, pharmacies and hospitals.
Recipe by Eggland’s Best
Prep Time: 1 minute, Cook Time: 3 minutes, Yields: 1 serving
This delicious Greek eggs in a mug recipe is packed with protein and ready in just 4 minutes!
½ cup chopped spinach
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
½ cup Eggland’s Best Liquid Egg Whites
2 tablespoons diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
1. Spray a large microwave-safe mug with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Add spinach and onion; microwave for 1-2 minutes, until softened.
3. Dry up any excess liquid from the spinach with a paper towel.
4. Add Eggland’s Best Liquid Egg Whites and microwave for 1 minute.
5. Stir in remaining ingredients. Microwave again for 1 minute or until egg whites are just set.
6. Stir and allow to slightly cook before enjoying!
Nutrition: Calories: 124, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol: 17mg, Sodium: 416mg, Carbohydrates: 3g, Fiber 1g, Protein 16g