I’ve been a bit focused on eggs here, on my Facebook and Instagram accounts and even during my grocery store tour yesterday and why not! They:
- are a very affordable source of protein at 15 cents for 6 grams of protein and 70 calories.
- can promote eye health as one ages.
- are associated with improved cognitive performance in adults.
- may reduce the risk of stroke by 12%.
- may increase HDL “good” cholesterol.
- can curb hunger and can keep enery levels steady until your next meal. I can attest to this. Yesterday was a very busy day and I didn’t plan for it properly. Luckily I had a 3 egg omelette with sun dried tomatoes; grilled zucchini, tomatoes and bell peppers topped off with a few slices of avocado. Well! That kept me going until the afternoon. No headaches. No drop in blood sugar or the accompanying mood swings. Clear head and decision making ability.
I thought I’d finish off my unofficial eggs series by sharing a resource which can help you understand the claims seen on an egg carton. Check this out if you want to know how long you can keep a carton of eggs in your fridge, what organic vs. cage-free vs. pasture raised mean and if your eggs contain hormones or antibiotics.